fonaCAB Central Darts League




Posted by seamus mccormick on February 6, 2018 at 8:00 AM

Welcome back to the FonaCab Central darts league where all teams descended upon the O’Donnells clubs for the qualifying night of the Sparrow McLaughlin Cup. For those looking to progress to next weeks finals night they would need to overcome a preliminary match followed by a quarter final. Without further ado let’s see how the night unfolded.

Preliminary 1

The first prelim saw hosts O’Donnells take on St Matthews. Game 1 saw Jap McKinley continue his good form in beat Rab Green, 1-0 St Matts. John Consadine and Martin Irwin followed suit in beating Paul Press and Eddie Robb, 3-0 St Matts. Irwin combining scoring and finishing to devastating effect with a 21 darter. Brendan McStravick rallied his team by beating Billy McDade before Tucker Kearney reduced their lead further in beating Jimmy Lavery,3-2 St Matts. Joe O’Kane overcame Kevin O’Neill to reestablish St Matts lead before Pat McGahans win over James McStravick sealed the win and progression to the quarter final. The final score St Matthews 5-2 O’Donnells.

Preliminary 2

The second prelim of the night saw Crumlin Star and The Forresters battle it out for the remaining quarter final spot. Paul Stafford got The Forresters off the a great start in beating Willie Mullan before Martin M levelled the match against Kev Robinson. Paul Porter gave the lead to the Crumlin men by beating Paddy Dempsey before Andy Gray restored parity against Tommy Henry. Sean McCurdy gave The Forresters the lead for the second time in the match against Dougie Bowes before Paul Thompson levelled the match once again. With the match finely poised it was anyone’s guess to who would prevail victorious. Peter Fitzpatrick used his experience to put the Crumlin men within touching distance of progression against Freddie Steagles before Frankie McGeogh completed the win against Crumlin Star. The final score Crumlin Star 5-3 The Forresters.

Quarter final 1

With the prelims taken care of we were down to eight, all battling for a place in next weeks finals. The first quarter final saw St Matthews take on Clonard Hibs with both teams looking to continue their excellent run of form. Game 1 saw Anto Smyth get the Hibs men off to a flyer in beating Joe McAttamney. Jap McKinley combined scoring and finishing to good effect in beating John McCann in 27 darts with a 120 finish. Joe Flannery gave Hibs the lead in beating Billy McDade in 27 darts with McDade providing stern resistance with a 180. Tommy Fitzpatrick furthered Hibs lead in beating an inform Martin Irwin in 30 darts with a lovely 84 finish, with Irwin throwing a 180 of his own. Con Kielty rallied his team in beating Dan Delaney in 30 darts, with Delaney continuing the curse of the 180s. Adam McDade overcame Joe O’Kane to put the Hibs men within touching distance of the semi finals before Dan Sloane completed the job against John Consadine to ensure progression to the finals night. The final score St Matts 2-5 Clonard Hibs.

Quarter final 2

The second quarter final saw league leaders Hibs 58 take on a Caseys team that have shown good form in cups this year. Game 1 saw Peter McDonnell snr get the Hibs men off to a flyer beating Brian Kerr in 25 darts.Tucker Clarke furthered Hibs lead in beating Peter Leckey with a 70 finish along the way. Davy McCusker made it 3-0 to Hibs beating Sambo Ramsey before Tony Corr put Hibs within touching distance of a semi final spot. The final game saw Matt Boyle and Martin Mooney both score well. However it was to be Mooney to prevail and ensure a place in the finals night. The final score Caseys 0-5 Hibs 58.


Quarter final 3

The third quarter final of the night saw Donegal Celtic take of Casement with both team fancying their chances of progression. Game 1 saw Kieran McGuinness get Casement off to a good start in beating Matt Doone. Paddy McKeown quickly levelled against Vinty Lenzie before Kev O’Carroll gave DC the lead beating Ciaran McKay in 29 darts. Sean Armstrong furthered Donegal Celtic’s lead by beating Michael Tierney before Martin Lavery rallied his team in beating Alan Hanna. Paddy McGuinness showed his scoring power in beating Paul Condon in 28 darts before Colm McGuinness followed suit to beat Joe Doone and ensure a place in the semi finals. The final score Donegal Celtic 5-2 Casement.

Quarter final 4

The last of the quarter finals saw an all Crumlin derby with Crumlin Star taking on Star Celtic. Game 1 saw Peter McAllorum get Crumlin Star off to a good start beating Aaron McGovern. Paul Porter quickly made it 2-0 before Tommy Henry combined scoring and finishing to good effect beating Gerard Burns in 30 darts with a 121 finish. Rab Lyttle rallied his team mates in beating M McCorry before Henry McTasney jnr followed suit by beating Willie Mullan. With the game finely poised Crumlin Star looked to Peter Fitzpatrick to put them within touching distance of the semi finals. Fitzpatrick overcoming Gerard Smith in 27 darts. The final game of the night saw Paul Thompson continue his good form beating Henry McTasney snr to ensure progression to the finals night. The final score Crumlin Star 5-2 Star Celtic.


With the qualifying night out of the way we are left with four teams all vying for another taste of Cup glory, Clonards Hibs, Crumlin Star, Donegal Celtic and Hibs 58. After good quality darts in the qualifying night one can expect fireworks to fly in the finals with only one team to emerge with the cup. Until next week keep practicing and remember to hold your nerve.

Categories: None

Post a Comment


Oops, you forgot something.


The words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again.

You must be a member to comment on this page. Sign In or Register